Do you know about the fun Sew My Stash project going on over at The Sewing Loft?
Heather ever so kindly invited me to be a part of it and sent me these lovely supplies from her stash to sew with.
I knew instantly what I wanted to make – a journal cover! I’ve been stashing some blank notebooks for just this purpose and knew it was finally time to whip some together.
Want to make one too? It’s EASY and fun! These make great gifts too.
Journal Cover Tutorial
1 Composition Notebook (the marble covered and bound kind- not spiral)
3 fat quarters of coordinating fabric (I used Free Spirit fabrics: Anna Maria Horner and Dena Designs)
1 fat quarter of cotton batting or Fusible Fleece interfacing
22″ decorative ribbon
buttons for embellishment
hand quilting thread
1. Cut fabric :
(1) 12″ x 17″ outer fabric *If quilting.
(1) 11″ x 16.25″ lining fabric
(2) 10″ x 11″ flaps
2. Fuse the Fusible Fleece to the wrong side of your outer fabric OR quilt onto batting and trim to 11″ x 16.25″. Trim to 16.25″ x 11″.
3. Fold the (2) flaps in half to 5″ x 11″. Press the fold. Use the glue stick to adhere ribbon 1/4″ from the fold on both flaps. Sew along the edges of both ribbons to secure.
4. Place flaps on lining fabric, lining up the raw edges. Baste the flaps in place.
5. Embellish the front of the cover with buttons and hand quilting.
6. Place the outer fabric, right sides together on the lining fabric. Pin.
7. Sew along all sides with a 1/4″ SA leaving a 5″ opening along the bottom for turning. *
8. Clip corners and turn right side out. Use a blunt tool to poke out corners and press. Topstich along all sides, making sure to catch the gap.
*For a tighter fit, sew with a 1/4″ SA along the short ends then move the needle over 1 position to the left before sewing along both long sides.
That’s all there is to it!
You are only limited by your creativity and now you have a lovely covered journal to house all of your ideas, lists and secrets. 🙂
If you make one, I’d love to see it. Please tag me on social media: @ellisonlane so I can take a peek!
Thanks Heather for having me! I can’t wait to see how everyone rises to the challenge! Be sure to pop on over to the Sewing Loft and enter yourself!