Hey y’all! Today I’m sharing a favorite quilt block tutorial with you.
I’m happy to be part of the Round Robin Quilt Along over at Patchwork Posse.
There have been lots of great blocks and techniques in the series. You should definitely check them out!
The ribbon star block is a traditional block but one that I think lends itself to a modern feel depending on the fabric you choose. Often you’ll see this block with an open center, meaning the center fabric is the same as the outer corners and background fabric. I like the extra dimension of having the center a contrasting color and the cool jade green really pops against the warm pink and orange.
This block is easy to make as long as you are precise with your quarter inch seam allowance. I’m going to share some easy steps for making those pesky half square triangle blocks too.
OK, here we go.
Ribbon Star Quilt Block Tutorial
4 fabrics: pink, orange, green and grey
3.5″ x 3.5″ block ruler (optional but helpful)
rotary cutting supplies
TIP: I like to begin by starching my fabric when I press it before I cut my fabric. It gives the fabric some stiffness which I prefer.
(4) 3.5″ x 3.5″ grey pieces A
(2) 5.5″ x 5.5″ grey pieces B
(1) 5.5″ x 5.5″ pink piece C
(1) 5.5″ x 5.5″ orange piece D
(1) 4 3/8″ x 4 3/8″ pink E
(2) 4 3/8″ x 4 3/8″ green F
(1) 4 3/8″ x 4 3/8″ orange G
1. Place B and C right sides together and stitch around all sides with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Repeat for B and D.
2. Cut on both diagonals. Open and press seams open. Now you have 4 half square triangles (hst.)
3. Place E and F right sides together. Draw a diagonal line across the green square. Sew a 1/4″ away from the line along both sides. Cut along the line. Press seams open. Repeat for G and F.
4. Line up the center seam with the diagonal line on your ruler and trim blocks to 3.5″ x 3.5″.
5. Arrange the blocks in order then sew together in rows using a SCANT 1/4″ seam.
(The scant 1/4″ is very important!)
Sew all of the rows together and press seams open.
6. Square up your block to 12.5″ x 12.5″ and you’re all done!
Thanks Becky for including me in the Round Robin series! Hope y’all enjoy making the block!
If you’re looking for other quilt block tutorials, be sure to check out my popular Starflower Quilt Block as well as my Quilt Block Round Up with over 50 quilt block tutorials!
To enter to win a $25 gift certificate to Plushie Patterns, simply make this block this week and upload your picture to the Round Robin Flickr group.
A winner will be chosen from all the week’s entries. Good luck!